skip to Main Content
What You Need To Start Inspecting

What you need to start inspecting

If you’re making a career move to become a building and pest inspector, there are a few things that you need to organise before you can get up and running. We’ve listed the top three areas you need to get ticked off before starting your new business:

  • Complete the relevant courses
  • Take out Professional Indemnity and Public Liability insurance
  • Get the right equipment


If you’re getting into the pre-purchase inspection industry, we recommend that you are trained as both a building AND pest inspector so you can carry out both parts of the inspection and don’t price yourself out of the market.

To get fully trained across all areas of a pre-purchase inspection, head to our Courses Page and select the Combined Building & Pest Inspector Courses for your state or territory and get started


Insurance is a vital set up cost that needs to be considered when entering the inspection industry. You will need to apply for Professional Indemnity (PI) and Public Liability (PL) insurance so you are covered for the work you undertake. For building and pest inspectors, Insurers will be checking that (at minimum) you have completed a Building Inspection Course and a Timber Pest Course (specifically pest units CPPPMT3008 and CPPPMT3010). If you have not attained at least these core units then you may be denied cover, or your premium could skyrocket!


Within the pre-purchase inspection industry it is standard that inspectors carry with them a moisture meter and thermal sensor. There are many kinds on the market but the most widely used and trusted is the Termatrac T3i which is both a moisture metre and thermal sensor in one. It is also a good idea to bring a ladder, torch, and any other equipment you may need to the inspection to access the interior of the roof and subfloor of a property.

Back To Top

Download our Building and Pest Inspector Brochures

Download our Pest Inspector Brochure

Download our Building Inspector Brochure